Choosing to buy coloured contacts online is highly convenient; you can save money and time with just a few clicks. However, you want to be knowledgeable of the process lest you sacrifice safety for convenience. To effectively buy coloured contacts from an online retailer, it is a good idea to obtain a valid prescription from your ophthalmologist.
A standard prescription will include information such as:
- Accurate measurements for your contact lenses
- Contact lenses made from material that is suitable for your eyes
- Name and contact information of your eye care professional
- The number of coloured lenses refills that you are allowed to have
- The expiration date of your prescription
- The type of contact lenses; single-use daily wear or monthly wear
All online retailers are required by law to receive an eye care professional’s approval by way of a prescription. It is advisable to buy from an online shop that adheres to these regulations to ensure the safety of your contact lenses and the health of your eyes.
How to buy coloured contact lenses safely from the internet
Prior to purchasing your coloured lenses, you need to establish the trustworthiness and credibility of your online retailer. Reputable online retailers usually provide a toll-free number on their website or a website contact form so you can easily reach them for any queries.
Have a look at these other important steps to buying contacts online:
- It’s always a smart idea to go for an eye exam from a certified ophthalmologist even if you have perfect vision. The ophthalmologist will help determine if you are a good candidate for contacts and assess the size and type of lenses that will best suit your eyes. You will also get some instructions on how to care for them.
- Obtain a valid prescription from an eye care professional. The prescription should include the lens measurements, brand name, and its expiration date. Most of the time, you will need this prescription to purchase the contacts from your online retailer.
- Once you receive your new contact lenses, check that they are exactly what you ordered-- are they the correct size, strength and colour? Match everything with what your doctor had prescribed to make sure they are safe to wear.
Coloured contacts are safe and fun to wear. In fact, they do a great job of reinventing your look. Even then, scheduling regular check-ups with your doctor can help to negate any eye problems. In the end, you will get true value for your buck, as you won’t have to spend a lot of money trying to treat eye infections that could easily have been managed or avoided with regular eye exams.
See you ophthalmologist immediately if you notice any of the following signs of a possible eye infection:
- redness and itching
- eye pain that lasts for a long period
- decreased vision
Even though it is generally safe to buy coloured contacts online, it’s advisable to stay away from retailers who make “one-size fits all’ claims. The best contacts are those that perfectly adhere to the uniqueness of your eyes.